Saturday, February 5, 2011

Settling In and Catching Up

Holy macaroni it's been over a month since I last updated. Life has been a whirlwind since leaving Tulsa and I finally feel like I'm settling in to my new life and feeling a little more organized.
I'll leave a short recap of the past month and then become less of a slacker in updating from now on.

On the way to Alaska we stopped in Washington to visit my very very newborn niece. Please tell me she isn't the cutest little thing you've ever seen?

Her daddy thinks that when she is a rebellious teenager she'll come live with her cool Aunt Mandy in Alaska. I hope that's true. I love being an Aunt. 


After spending a week or two there (I forgot how long, feels like a year ago) my Mom, Dad and I hopped on a plane to Alaska and things have been falling into place every since.


First full day here I bought a 2008 Honda CRV. Due to it being a 4 wheel drive and having snow tires (thanks, Father) I am feeling a little less frantic and panicked while driving on ice and snow.. and for everyone that knows me and my feelings about driving, that's a big deal. 




We have seen many friends, spent the weekend on an amazing boat, saw a gazillion eagles, a moose, and I FINALLY found an apartment. I miss the availability, affordability and niceness of apartments in Oklahoma, but now that mine keeps me warm, I really can't complain. It's all a poor girl straight out of college needs.

Thankfully due to friends and connections I was able to start subbing almost right after getting here. I've also already had my "screening" interview (this past Thursday), which is an interview with the district that if passed, will allow me to be interviewed and hired by individual schools. I will find out the results of that within the next few weeks. Moving also means I have to go about getting certified here, even though I JUST got certified in Oklahoma (ahhh!) Eventually, of course,  I hope to get a full time position with the school district. Fingers crossed, please. :)

For now, I'll continue keeping busy and settling into life in Alaska. It's been wonderful and exciting and adventurous for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment